Thursday 5 June 2014

My personal journey to nutritional therapy


What drove me to nutritional therapy and how it helped me……….

I had always wanted to be vegetarian for as long as I can remember and knew I wanted to be vegan from the age of 16. I went vegetarian at the age of 20 and my health was in general fine and I didn’t really have any symptoms of ill health but my energy levels could have been better and I wanted to make sure I could be as well nourished as possible. I was also concerned about the very wide array of health problems in my family.


Going vegetarian didn’t appear to change my health for better or worse. I would always read information from vegan organisations saying ‘Go veggie & feel great!’ ‘Go veggie and lose weight!’ and testimonials from people saying things like ‘When I went vegan, I had so much more energy, my skin cleared up, I was never ill….’ etc etc. I always wondered what I was doing wrong and why I didn’t feel amazing. 



tasty but not the way to be healthy as a vegan!

In my job as a library assistant I would always find myself picking up nutrition books and flicking through them (when I should have been working!). I began to understand the importance of eating fresh, natural foods (rather than veggie burgers and oven chips!) and avoiding excess refined carbohydrates and sugar.  I gradually began to eat a better diet with more vegetables, more organic foods and more natural sources of protein such as nuts, seeds, beans and lentils.  It took me a long time to get the hang of tofu! I read information from unbiased sources and so I was aware of the weaknesses of the vegan diet and so I supplemented vitamin B12, vitamin D and even long chain omega 3 fatty acid supplements (from algae). I felt fine but always wondered why I didn’t feel fantastic. 

One day my boyfriend at the time suggested to me that I should perhaps pursue a career in nutrition and it was like a revolution to me.  For so long I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with my life but it made so much sense, because I was really interested in it and wanted to learn more.  My first degree was in psychology and so I decided to train to be a nutritional therapist, because I liked the person-centred nature of the profession.


Prior to the course I never was particularly interested in digestion, my interest was in maintaining optimum health and vitality.  Little did I know the two were so closely linked! Then in one of my lectures one of the lecturers said that feeling uncomfortably full is a sign of low stomach acid and mentioned that adequate stomach acid is necessary to correctly digest food, particularly protein, and effectively absorb nutrients.  This rang alarm bells with me because I noticed that when I ate tofu I felt really uncomfortable.  It felt like a brick in my stomach and I would get an overwhelming craving for diet coke (which contains lots of acid) after eating it.  I went to see a student nutritional therapist and my suspicion that I had low stomach acid was confirmed.  I undertook a programme to increase stomach acid levels* and my health was transformed! I finally had that feeling of vitality I had been reading about and felt I deserved!  There was no way I would have discovered this from books in the library or information from animal charities and I felt so glad that after 7 years I knew I could be healthy and have plenty of energy as a vegan. And so the transition took me a very long time but I am now happy and healthy as a vegan and I only wish I could have made the transition sooner.  

*this should only be done under the supervision of a qualified nutritional therapist.
protein deficient, really?


Although I was symptom free after addressing my digestive issue I was still made to feel bad about my dietary choice.  I was told that my diet was low in protein when in my food diary there was protein absolutely everywhere and body composition scales revealed my muscle mass was well above average. 




I was also told that the vitamin B-complex I was taking was not high strength enough and that I needed to take a higher strength one and vitamin B12 drops on top of this.  I agree that vegans should keep an eye on their vitamin B12 status but given that I had the energy to work full time, do a degree level diploma, go on my cross trainer several times per week and have ice skating lessons I feel it was unlikely that I was deficient or heading for pernicious anaemia.  (I did not listen to this advice & later had a blood test which revealed that my B12 status was fine and my folic acid was too high!)  


I was also advised to double my dose of omega 3 supplements because I was not eating any fish, but again, given that I was symptom free I didn't understand what the justification for this was supposed to be.


My mission is now to be the person I wish I had known who would have helped me embrace plant-based cuisine and devised a personalised nutritional strategy to help me maintain optimal health whilst staying true to my ethics.

No comments:

Post a Comment