Thursday 23 June 2016

What's wrong with not wanting to 'work?'

This is how many people define 'work'
It may appear I'm going a bit off topic as this blog was intended to be about nutrition and health and it appears I'm becoming a bit political but it's all relevant and I'll explain why.  

The importance of good nutrition in maintaining our health and disease prevention cannot be overemphasised but the best diet in the world will not improve one's health if you don't improve your lifestyle.  From the course it appeared to me that the single most important factor in health was stress.  Many of us these days are having to work extremely hard to earn just enough to scrape by and don't have much time to do things we enjoy.  It's extremely depressing and unnatural.

What does the word 'work' even mean?

I think when most people think of the word 'work' they think of one thing.  'Working' from 9-5 (haha, that Dolly Parton song came into my head!) Monday-Friday or longer doing something boring that you don't particularly enjoy, makes you feel resentful and desperate for a holiday (and/or alcohol!). Is it really wrong to not want to do this? Or just human nature?

you're not 'working' if you don't do something
that makes you feel like this?
I understand that a lot of people have high mortgages or rents, bills and/or mouths to feed so I do realise not everyone can just call it quits and become a beekeeper.  

But those who are in a position to live comfortably doing something else that makes them happy and gives them a sense of purpose should not be frowned upon for wanting to do so something that makes a lot more sense in a lot of cases.  There is far too much sadness in the world so people should not feel guilty for doing something that makes them feel good.  I've mentioned in a previous blog about the blue zones (areas in the world where there are a higher than average number of centenarians and they have far lower rates of disease) and one of the 9 factors that ameliorated their well-being was working less and stress reduction.  The NHS is struggling at the moment and so those who can find ways to achieve better health should definitely do so. 

We're all different! 
There are some people who like having routine and structure, (particularly those on the autistic spectrum or 'type-A personality' people. (think I'm about 40% A and 60% B!)
see: http://changingminds.org/explanations/preferences/typea_typeb.htm) for more on this and there's nothing wrong with that.  When I've had quite bad depressive episodes, having some structure (which my job at the time provided me) really helped me.  Now that I've left my job I've been very much enjoying providing my own structure to my day and the difference it's made in my health and my mood has been miraculous.

My broader definition of 'work'

To me the word 'work' is a broad term that encompasses anything that provides a positive contribution to oneself, the world and society.  Examples include:

Parenting. I don't have children myself (just 2 nephews and a niece who I spend a lot of time with, I know it's not the same) but the mothers who don't have a 'job' but are instilling positive values and morals to their children (biological or adopted) who will be the next generation of people are providing a valuable contribution to the world.  I do feel there is a problem with over-population and that parenthood should definitely be planned where possible. There are some people who are irresponsible and have too many children without thinking it through but it's not as common as the press would make you think. I'm not sure of the percentage but a large number of pregnancies are unplanned and in some circumstances the mothers are just forced to be very brave and deal with it. Positive parenting can be of value to society and gives (some, not all people) a real sense of purpose.  

There's nothing wrong with being a working parent either but in my grandparents generation it wasn't necessary to have 2 incomes in order to feed one's children.  Both my grandmothers had several children and didn't have a traditional 9-5 'job' but were brilliant multi-talented home-makers who loved to welcome and look after people. They both had strong Christian values and morals which they passed on to my parents, my uncles and aunties (and me!).  That to me makes for a very worthwhile existence.

Volunteering
There are so many people making a positive contribution to the world by doing all sorts of valuable work without being paid.  Charity work, library volunteering, educational volunteering, health-related volunteering. The list goes on.  These people might not be considered as in employment but they are 'working'.

Looking after oneself (yes, really!) 
I'm aware it might seem extremely over-indulgent but it's not.  There's nothing wrong with taking care of yourself and it's so important for your health.  I remember last autumn/winter I had another depressive episode and was doing very little on my days off.  A family member had recently passed away and at the funeral people talked about what a wonderful mother, provider and care-giver she was (and it was all true, not just people saying nice things because they have to!).  This made me think 'what would people say about me at my funeral? She sat in bed all day eating junk food and watching repeats of Desperate Housewives?' But no, that was just a bit of a rough patch and is not how my close family and friends perceive me. No need to be so harsh on oneself.  See my blog: http://samanthathesanevegan.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/no-such-thing-as-laziness.html for more on this.

So what the hell have you been doing in these past 3 months Samantha?

Let's see:
  • I've written 17 blogs (18 including this one!) passing on my nutritional knowledge, messages of hope and inspiration to hundreds of people, many of whom were strangers who have told me I've helped them. 
  • I've gone around London giving cereal bars to homeless people.  
  • I've started to see a personal trainer to achieve a healthier body composition, (making an effort to preserve one's health helps the NHS!)
  • I've gone running (and even tried it in the rain for the first time!) http://samanthathesanevegan.
  • blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/learn
  • ing-to-dance-sing-and-run-in-rain.html 
  • I've been rollerblading in the park
  • I've gotten back my passion for healthy eating and baking. 
  • I've been making lots of playlists of different kinds of music for my different moods
  • I've been able to help my mum more with things that need doing around the house and garden. 
  • I've been going round London seeing things I've never had the chance to see before. 
  • I've been appreciating beauty in all forms so much more. 
  • I've been catching up with friends who I haven't had a chance to talk to in a long time.
  • I've been more motivated to do things with my nephews and niece
  • Trying out new restaurants and cafes and supporting small businesses with my custom.
  • Updating my wardrobe with clothes from Charity shops, supporting good causes.
  • Buying personalised gifts (including Christmas gifts!) for my loved ones
  • De-cluttering my house (a never-ending task!)
  • Having a well-earned rest after working in libraries for 15 years!

That to me makes for a worthwhile existence and that's all that matters to me. Screw work, let's play!







No comments:

Post a Comment